My Photo
Name:
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States

Programmer, musician, photographer, artist, hubby, dad, slightly demented middle-aged geek.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Nano Cycle

The following blog is a diary of the creation of my NaSoAlMo project, or National Solo Album Month. or, write and record a whole cd in 30 days.

I'm going with a sort of mathematical/relationship/pattern theme.

here's my notes so far...

-=-=-=-=-=-

Cycle


Cycle is a series of 7 pieces of music.

The pieces are written with a very simple cyclic pattern.

The 1st and 7th are similar, 2nd and 6th, 3rd and 5th, and the 4th a midpoint.

Similar but not a copy. Certain things will be similar between them. Key, time signature, length, chord progression. They will be related in some way.

Each neighboring piece will have a small amount of similarity between them. Maybe a series of chords, or an inverted time sig.

The entire piece will be 48 minutes long. The songs are broken into 3 minute multiples. So there are 16 ‘sections’ of 3 minute time to divide among the pieces.

I - D - 2 time sect. - 6 min
II - A - 3 - 9 min
III - E - 1 - 3 min
IV - C - 4 - 12 min
III - E - 1 - 3 min
II - A - 3 - 9 min
I - D - 2 - 6 min

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan L-K said...

Shiny!

(I always wonder if I'm the only one fascinated with cyclical patterns and with a need to incorporate them into larger works. It's a relief to know it's in the blood.)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home